New toy arrived yesterday, after an epic eight day journey via Shanghai, Amsterdam, Arnham and… Northampton. New iMac, powered by an Intel Core Duo chip.
Comments after 6 hours:
- Really nice big, bright screen.
- Really thin case, considering the whole computer is behind the screen.
- Really quiet (even quieter than expected.) This is really important in my small apartment.
- The speakers point downwards into the table and reflect off – resulting in quite a nice sound actually.
- Did I say how big the screen is?
- I couldn’t get a wireless connection working – probably just some configuration thing, but I have heard anecdotally of wireless problems with the new iMacs.
- Photo Booth is a really fun and really nicely executed.
- The first application I downloaded off the net is Firefox. It’s a PowerPC application for now, which means it has to run through software emulation on the Intel chipset I have, so is a little slow.
- I can use the remote control that comes with it to turn on the machine. Which means I can walk in from work, put on a movie and crank up the volume, without even going near the computer.
- Wow this screen is big!