Day 3: Loch Lochy to Inversnaid
“The West Highlands”
This stage starts with an off-road section, down the remainder of the Great Glen to Fort William – with a road alternative along the A-road on the other side of the glen. It then follows the road to Ballachulish and then inland, up through through Glen Coe and into Rannoch Moor, down to Bridge of Orchy, up and over to Tyndrum and Crianlarich, and finally down to the shores of Loch Lomond, where a ferry takes us across to Inversnaid. There is a final surprise in the form of a short, extremely steep road up from the loch.
BRT Time: 8h 55
Max Height: 348m (Rannoch Moor)
Off-road Sections: Loch Lochy west side (optional)
Accommodation: Inversnaid Bunkhouse
Itinerary & Hills
- 9km: 0830 – South Laggan (Loch Lochy)
- 20km: 0955 – Gairlochy
- 35km: 1050 – Fort William
- Ballachulish Bridge
- 60km: 1205 – Glencoe Village (Stop 1)
- 60km: 1250 – Glencoe Village
- Glen Coe climb: 380m in 20km, consisting of:
- 68km: Glencoe – 250m in 8km (3%)
- 79km: Rannoch Moor summit – 70m in 2.5km (3%)
- 84km: 1450 – Rannoch Moor summit
- 98km: 1535 – Bridge of Orchy
- 101km: Tyndrum approach – 120m in 5km (3%)
- 109km: 1620 – Tyndrum (Stop 2)
- 109km: 1705 – Tyndrum
- 117km: 1730 – Crianlarich
- 130km: 1815 – Ardlui
- 137km: 1840 – Inveruglas
- 138km: Inversnaid – 100m in 0.5km (20%)
- 141km: (No Time) – Inversnaid (via ferry)
- Follow A82 a short way south to Laggan Locks
- Good weather: Cross the locks, turn left and take minor road (NCR78) along-side loch.
- Good weather: Continue along the road which turns into a forest track.
- Good weather: Turn left onto the B8005.
- Good weather: Continue straight on where it becomes the B8004.
- Bad weather: Continue along the A82 until Spean Bridge memorial.
- Bad weather: Turn sharp right onto B8004, follow it around to left at Gairlochy.
- Continue along B8004 to Neptune’s Staircase.
- Turn left onto A830.
- Turn right onto A82. Avoid dual carriageway by using the High Street.
- Continue on A82. Cross Ballachulish Bridge and turn right.
- At Glencoe village turn left onto B863 and immediately right onto minor road.
- Rejoin A82 and turn left. Keep left at Tyndrum, right at Crianlarich.
- At Inveruglas, take ferry to Inversnaid.
- Proceed up steep hill on minor road to end.
Train from Bridge of Orchy to Ardlui, leaving 13:03 or 18:56 and arriving 13:51 or 19:48, saving around 32km.
Alternative wet weather route down the A82, via Spean Bridge.
Fort William. Possibly Clachaig Inn (Glencoe) or Tyndrum.
Average July Weather
Glencoe: Max 18°C. 45% chance of rain.