Day 2: Carbisdale Castle to Loch Lochy
“The Great Glen”
Only three significant hills today after yesterday’s undulating route, but they are all big – and the first is near the start, cutting off a corner of the coast and heading down to the Black Isle, where the second climb awaits. After crossing the Kessock Bridge and passing through the city of Inverness – the capital of the Highlands – we take the quiet road on the south side of Loch Ness. The road should be more pleasant than the touristy A-road on the opposite shore, however at Foyers, the Great Glen becomes too steep and the road winds away, climbing up to the second highest point of the trip, before dropping steeply back into the glen at Fort Augustus. The final part of the day is a short section along the towpath of the Caledonian Canal, before joining the A-road for the final leg into South Laggan.
BRT Time: 8h 40
Max Height: 386m (Carn an t-Suidhe)
Off-road Sections: Section along canal near Fort Augustus
Accommodation: Great Glen Hostel
Itinerary & Hills
- 0km: 0900 – Carbisdale Castle
- 8km: 0925 -Ardgay
- 15km: Cadha Mor – 200m in 3.5km (6%)
- 40km: 1130 – Evanton(Stop 1)
- 40km: 1200 – Evanton
- 47km: Millbuie – 170m in 4km (4%)
- 58km: 1300 – Munlochy
- 68km: Kessock Bridge
- 71km: 1345 – Inverness (Stop 2)
- 71km: 1430 – Inverness
- 101km: 1620 -Foyers (Stop 3)
- 101km: 1650 – Foyers
- Foyers climb: 380m in 17km, consisting of:
- 102km: Foyers – 150m in 4km (4%)
- 109km: Carn an t-Suidhe – 180m in 4km (5%)
- 111km: 1745 – Carn an t-Suidhe summit
- 122km: 1815 – Fort Augustus
- 140km: 1925 – South Laggan (Loch Lochy)
- Minor road SE to Ardgay
- Turn right onto A836, continue SE to Fearn Lodge
- Turn right onto B9176, follow it S to Novar Toll
- Turn right onto minor roads, follow SW through Culcairn and Evanton.
- Bear right, continuing on minor road through Evanton.
- Turn left, adjacent to Foulis Castle, onto minor road.
- Turn right onto A9, cross Cromarty Firth
- Turn left onto B9163, immediately right onto minor road
- At Culbokie, turn right onto B9169, and immediately left onto minor road.
- Bear right, turn left.
- Cross A832, join B9161 briefly and then turn right onto minor road.
- Turn left at end, follow cycle path beside A9. Cross Kessock Bridge.
- Come off bridge to right, pass through Inverness but don’t cross River Ness.
- Follow B862 to Fort Augustus.
- Join A82 N briefly, turn left onto canal towpath.
- At end of towpath, follow A82 S to end.
- Train from Alness to Inverness, leaving 11:31 and arriving 12:16 and saving around 30km.
Inverness, Fort William.
Average July Weather
Inverness: Max 17°C. 54% chance of rain.