London to Brighton – Again

I’ve already cycled from London to Brighton, but my new housemate suggested it on Saturday morning as it was such a nice day, so off we went.

The route and profile were pretty much the same time, so I won’t repeat them again here. The only variations were starting a couple of miles further back (as I’ve moved house), taking a pleasant detour through Tooting Park as Clapham High Street was closed, and not doing the kilometre-lengthening bit along Madeira Drive in Brighton itself. We also started earlier (just before midday) so the sun set this time when I was on the top of Ditchling Beacon, not at the bottom of it.

The traffic was noticeably busier, both in London and along the country lanes, which was a shame really – but using smaller roads would probably result in an even longer and hillier route. The cars going up and down the narrow road that climbs up Ditchling Beacon were particularly unpleasant.

Moving time was 5h 10 – slightly disappointingly taking 7 minutes longer than last year. However I was in considerably less pain this time and felt a lot fresher at the end – and didn’t get lost on the way from the sea-front to the station. Was too tired to get up early the following day though, so yet another weekend without orienteering.

ditchlingme

2 Comments

  1. Richard Webb
    31 March 2009
    Reply

    HELP
    I’m pretty sure I’ve just picked up a virus from the Orienteering map… I’m now getting constant warnings from Symantec as it tries to email a load of spam.
    I got a friend to look at the site on a Mac and it said the site contains Malware.#
    Not certain about this – but wanted to let you
    know as soon as possible – and don’t want to fire up my email client with this shit goin g on.
    Can’t find a telephone number or I’d ring you.

    Richard
    07971804211

  2. 31 March 2009
    Reply

    Thanks for that report. Looks like some hacker got onto the web server this afternoon that has my site on it and inserted some dodgy Javascript onto some of the pages, including the Map. The Javascript appears to load a website from somewhere else (China, by the looks of things) onto the map. Nasty. This also happened a few months ago – I think I’m going to switch to running the map (and the other webpages on my site) from my work servers rather than the public service I use.

    I’ve deleted the mess now so it should be clean.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.